Below is a list of our most Frequently Asked Questions. These are general and student specific. If you can't find what you need, contact the Housing Department directly.
Are Freshmen required to live on campus?
- While the majority of freshmen live on campus, it is not required.
Does the prepayment go towards my rent?
- Yes, with the exception of a one time non-refundable $80.00 application fee.
Where do I submit my housing prepayment?
- You can submit your housing prepayment online at ePay.
- Be sure to select Deposits on the navigation bar.
- See Payment Options
When are the remainder of the fees due?
- All fees including meal plans, housing, and tuition must be paid to the Office of the Bursar by the payment deadline indicated on the official Georgia Tech Academic Calendar.
Can I receive a delay of prepayment?
- Certain returning students are eligible for a delay of prepayment. A delay of prepayment will allow you to complete the housing application without making a prepayment. Since a prepayment is applied to your semester rent, the delay makes it possible for you to pay the entire semester rent according to the dates indicated by the official Georgia Tech Academic Calendar.
If you accept the delay and cancel your application at a later date, you will be billed according to the Application/Cancellation Penalty Schedule that you agreed to in the housing application.
How do I get a copy of my contract?
- Contracts are accepted online and may be viewed or printed, as needed. If you need official proof of residency, contact the Central Housing office at 404-894-2470.
How much will my housing cost?
- Rental rates are included in the Details for each building on the Housing Options buildings list. They may be found on the Rates page, also.
When will new students find out room and roommate information?
- Room and roommate information will be available as soon as a room assignment has been made. See the "Room and Roommate(s) Info" step in your My Housing application.
Are undergraduate transfer students guaranteed housing?
- Yes, if you prepay and apply before the May 1st deadline for fall semester. Room availability in spring and summer is adequate, and a guaranteed deadline is not necessary.
Can I move in Early?
- Move-in dates will be posted on our calendar located on the home page of the Housing website. There is a $75 per night per student fee for checking out a room key prior to the start date indicated in your housing contract.
What if I decide not to attend Georgia Tech or decide to live off campus? How do I cancel my contract/application?
- You may cancel your housing online via your My Housing account. Refer to the housing application/contract for penalties which may apply.
Can I have a tour of a room in the residence halls before I arrive?
- We do not offer tours of the residence halls at any time due to privacy reasons. Click here to take a 360º tour by selecting your building.
What are the dimensions of the rooms?
- Room dimensions vary in the residence halls. East Campus traditional buildings are approximately 12' X 10' to 15' X 11'. West Campus Room dimensions vary in the residence halls. East Campus traditional buildings are approximately 12' X 10' to 15' X 11'. West Campus traditional buildings are approximately 15' X 11'. Suite style, Harris is 12' X 10' and Woodruff hall is 15' X 12'. The apartment style buildings have individual bedrooms which are approximately 11' X 8' 10". Window dimensions of the rooms vary as well. Sizes range from 44" X 95" to 51" X 116". You will need to determine the size of your window once you arrive on campus. Blinds are provided and already installed.
Can I loft my bed?
- Lofts may not be constructed or erected in any residence hall room. However, most rooms do contain beds that can be arranged in multiple configurations. Please see the "Lofts" for more specific information.
What furniture is in my room? What should I bring with me to my room?
What are the sizes of the mattresses?
- Mattresses are twin extra long (Twin XL, 80 inches long).
Are microwaves, refrigerators and other appliances allowed in the residence halls?
- Microwaves using less than 10 amps of power and refrigerators no larger than 4.5 cubic-feet are allowed in the residence halls. Appliances with exposed heating elements are not allowed in the residence halls (e.g. toasters, toaster ovens, space heaters, etc.).
What about my laundry?
- Convenient laundry facilities are available for all residents. The location of the laundry for each residence hall is provided on its Building Detail page which can be accessed from the Building List. All laundry room machines are front loading HE washers, and HE detergent pods are recommended for the best results. Washer and dryer progress may be monitored online through LaundryView.
- BuzzCard is the method of payment, and the cost August 1, 2015-July 31, 2016 is:
- $1.59 per washer load
- $0.32 for ten minutes to dry
- Tenth & Home Apartments have full size washers and dryers inside each apartment.
Can students remain on campus during breaks? Are the dining halls open?
- Students can remain on campus during holiday breaks and between semesters if they have a room assignment to live on campus for the subsequent semester.
- Check the Dining Services website for restaurant openings and hours of operation.
What is the Freshman Experience Program?
What is my mailing address?
- Your box number is available via your Buzzport account. If you do not yet have a box assignment, address package as "Incoming new student, Georgia Tech Station" on line 2.
- When sending packages through UPS, DHL, FedEx or any others which do not accept packages addressed to P.O. Boxes, please use the following format:
- Line 1: Student's Name
- Line 2: 350 Ferst Drive
- Line 3: Box Number 3##### Georgia Tech Station
- Line 4: Atlanta, GA 30332-0450
- Overnight Mail is delivered the same day of receipt.
How do I make changes to my meal plan?
I have to sign up for parking now, but I don't know my actual room assignment. What do I do?
- Sign up for the area in which you think will be most convenient to your classes. For a fee, GT Parking will work to change your parking area at a later date if space is available in the area you wish to park.
I am a new student, how do I get my gtAccount (email)?
- After your application is received by Georgia Tech you will be given an email account known as the "gtAccount". To activate your account, simply go to www.passport.gatech.edu, click on I need to activate my account (Students Only), and enter the required information. The Department of Housing will communicate with students via e-mail as much as possible. Check your GT e-mail account regularly.
What is my GTID #?
- The GTID # is a nine digit number used as the student's ID. It will also be assigned after your application to Georgia Tech is received by admissions.
What is the mailing address and fax number to the Georgia Tech Department of Housing?
Student Services Building
Department of Housing
353 Ferst Drive Suite 102
Atlanta, Georgia. 30332-0459
Do I need personal property insurance?
What are my off-campus housing options?
As a courtesy to our students we offer the following listings. Georgia Tech is not affiliated with any of these properties:
To view PDF files, a PDF reader is required. Click here to download Adobe Reader for free.