Managing Mold and Mildew in Residence Halls

The Department of Housing strives to provide a safe and healthy place for students to live, learn, and succeed by addressing all concerns as quickly as possible with minimal disruptions.

Recently, mold and mildew have been identified in several residence halls on campus. The Department of Housing is working with Environmental Health and Safety to inspect, clean, and remediate all rooms and spaces affected as well as to identify and address the cause of these moisture control issues.

Mold and mildew are fungi that occur naturally in both indoor and outdoor environments and grow best in warm, damp, and humid conditions.

Exposure to mold can cause allergy-like symptoms, such as nasal stuffiness and eye or skin irritation. Some people may not feel the effects of mold at all, while others, such as those with asthma and allergies, may have a more severe reaction.

* If you have been exposed to mildew or mold and you are concerned or feel unwell, contact your doctor or make an appointment at Stamps Health Services.

* If you detect mildew or mold in your living space, call the Housing Work Center number 404-894-0520 or submit a work order to report the issue. This will initiate a work order and someone from the Department of Housing will come to inspect your room within one business day.

To learn more, including how to prevent mildew and mold, visit housing.gatech.edu/residents/airquality.

Related Media

Click on image(s) to view larger version(s)

  • Open Windows

  • Thermostat

For More Information Contact

Sravanthi Meka
Marketing Manager
Department of Housing

Related Links